As researchers at Harvard have advanced the sciences,
the artifacts of their work continue to inform.
Harvard University has been acquiring scientific instruments on a continuous basis for teaching and research since 1672. The Collection of Historical Scientific Instruments, which was established in 1948 to preserve this apparatus as a resource for teaching and research in the history of science and technology, has become one of the three largest university collections of its kind in the world. Originally associated with the Harvard library system, the Collection was placed under the stewardship of the Department of History of Science in 1987.
Collection Research & Exhibition Advisory
Due to the impending Cabot Library renovation project in the Science Center, the CHSI will close for research and teaching until further notice.